Friday, November 04, 2005

Please, thank you, and friendship

We have worked hard to teach our foster daughter manners and the art of maintaining friendships, mostly be example.

I try to be polite and friendly with everyone I meet. I've tried to show her that by being kind to others, they will respond in a similar fashion. With friends, I try to compliment and encourage, always reciprocating their acts of kindness.

Sometimes I think people have forgotten that friendship is a two way street. One cannot simply receive all the time. Friends like to feel important, that their opinions and feelings matter. Acknowledging these things in a friend is the greatest act one can do.

Occasionally you'll find yourself in a one-sided friendship. A person can only give so much before their cup becomes empty. It's sad, but sometimes you just have to say bye.

I prefer not to give up on anyone.

"He who can do this has the whole world with him. He who cannot walks a lonely way."
- Dale Carnegie

No comments: