Monday, March 12, 2007

Women's College Basketball

*guest blogger today

"With all of the media coverage of the NCAA, no one has even noticed the rankings of the women's basketball!

"All those lamenting that Duke is doing poorly this year should note that The Lady Blue Devils are ranked number one. And the Tar Heels are doing equally well in both men & women's basketball.

"I know everyone finds men's sports more interesting, but it's still frustrating. I've spent my whole life playing basketball and it's just as tough for the ladies. Sometimes even tougher! And I believe some of the toughest coaches out there in college sports reign over the women's teams.

"I'm sure my Lady Tigers would agree with that, too!"

- Heather Jennings, assistant coach, Clemson

3 comments:

Mike Douglas said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's better than it used to be, but still... as far as much of the news media is concerned you'd think women never picked up a basketball.

Well, I'm a big fan of women's basketball, it's my favorite sport, and I'm thoroughly jazzed about the upcoming “Big Dance.” My team is, and always has been, the Stanford Cardinal. They open in the Fresno Regional against Idaho State Saturday at 1:00 on ESPN, and if I can't watch live I'll surely have my VCR set for it. Stanford had kind of an off season in the won-lost column having lost five games overall. This was mostly due to injuries that put their two point guards out for the season, and that caused superstar Candice Wiggins to miss some games. Wiggins is back with a vengeance, and even without the full roster available the Cardinal is a team to be seriously reckoned with. They have one of the best front lines in the game, with All-American Brooke Smith and 6-5 defensive stopper Kristen Newlin starting at the 1 and 2, and the future of the franchise, freshman Jayne Appel coming off the bench.

Okay, I know I'm rambling, but as you can tell this is a subject I'm passionate about. Did you say Duke? They're a machine, and all roads lead through them. I have high hopes for my beloved Cardinal, but looking at things realistically, I have to see Duke coming out on top. You just never know though, anything can happen in this madness, and that's why we play the game.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That is why they play the game!! Everyone says UNC will win in the men's division for sure - but if that were true, then they would just scrap March Madness, because we already know who wins!
You know your stuff - we should chat sometimes!
And I will watch for your Lady Cardinals - while I'm watching homestate Duke.

Mike Douglas said...

Yeah, that's the exciting thing about March Madness, anything can happen, and every team no matter how successful is only one injury, one poor performance away from getting upset and going home for the season. It's a wonderful event, and I can't wait for it to start. Go Cardinal!