Saturday, April 14, 2007

In The Public's Eye - Don Imus and Others

*guest blogger today

"If you haven't heard about Don Imus this week, well you've been hiding under a rock! But his comments regarding Rutgers women's basketball team and firing from CBS have been at the top of the headlines everywhere you look.

"Not far behind that was the 'apology' from Mike Nifong for destroying the Duke lacrosse player's lives with his false accusations last year.

"I have to laugh when news like this crosses my desk. Do people like Imus and Nifong not stop and think before they speak? When in the limelight, you can't just spout off the first thing that comes to mind! You can't react as if you were a child. You have to carefully consider each response and comment, because it could come back and bite you in the butt! These men were idiots and now they are both paying for their moment of stupidity. And Nifong's moment lasted for months ...

"As junior editor of the Sentinel, I do have to control my reactions & comments, but I am so glad I am not in the public's eye. I don't think I have that much restraint! And I am sure my wife would agree I occasionally have a lapse in judgement..."

-James Sheppard, Junior Editor, Orlando Sentinel

No comments: