Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Best Book Festival Ever!

I’ve attended many book festivals over the years, but Book ‘Em remains my favorite.

The Book ‘Em Foundation was started by my buddy Trish (author p.m. Terrell) and Officer Mark Kearney. It now appears in three cities and Mark continues to expand with more locations. The Foundation’s slogan is “Buy a book, stop a crook!” and fights illiteracy.

The event attracts a wide variety of authors, including several from other countries. (Notable appearances include Ellen Hopkins, Janet Evanovich, Catherine Coulter, and Chris Crutcher.) There are talks and panel discussions throughout the day as well.

I’ve participated in two panels and every year I give a talk. I also visit several schools on Friday to do my characterization session, and the kids love it. Many of the authors come in early to visit schools.

This year’s Waynesboro Book ‘Em is October 16. A full list of authors appearing can be found HERE

There’s still time to join the fun! We have a blast every year at Book ‘Em. Contact Mark at mkearney@bookemfoundation.org if you are interested.

And...

Don't forget my 300 Followers Giveaway! Several chances to win - ends this weekend.

21 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

It's good when you come across something better than you have expereinced before.
Pleased you enjoyed it.

Yvonne.

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like a great event. Wish it was close by. Love your display, very eye catching. Have fun.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Diane .. the "Fight Illiteracy" aim via the Book 'em Foundation seems a highly valuable idea for society in general.

Love the way .. you go round the schools giving characterisation talks etc .. and are available for the kids to ask questions ..

Sounds fun and invigorating .. Hilary

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I hear a lot of good things about Book 'Em. For some reason it sneaks up on me each year...and Sept/Oct is a crazy time for me anyway with the kids' school schedule. Maybe next year?

Lisa_Gibson said...

Sounds wonderful! What a terrific cause as well. Enjoy.
Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

Unknown said...

What a great motto! I'll keep my eye out for any future Book 'Em's in Atlanta!

Arlee Bird said...

So cool that you are participating in something like this. I like the picture with you and your impressive display of books.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Jai Joshi said...

This sounds so fantastic! Thanks for letting us know.

Jai

Jai Joshi said...

I have an award for you at my blog, Diane!

Jai

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

October 16 - on my calendar.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I like the name of the event. It sounds like fun and benefits a worthy cause. I’ve printed this post to take to my writing groups to see about the possibility of starting a Book ‘Em event here.

Helen Ginger said...

It sounds like a great conference with a good cause. All children need to learn to read. It will change their lives - for the better.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun and for a good cause. If I could be there I certainly would.


Stephen Tremp

TerryLynnJohnson said...

thanks for the tip! I'm going to check that out! Love the photo of you and your awesome table! Did you get posters made the same place as your bookmarks?

Jemi Fraser said...

As usual, I nowhere close to the action :) Hope it's wonderful!

Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

It's always a good idea for authors to pick a book fair that suits their title if they're planning on signing or manning a booth. This sounds like a fit for you! BTW, I have a list of bookfairs nationwide and 'round the world on my Web site. Go to www.howtodoitfrugally.com. Find the Writers Resources button at the top of the page. From there, have fun exploring the different lists and resources. Most pages have articles and all pages have tips.
Best,
Carolyn Howard-Johnson

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Anyone who can make it, please do! We have authors coming from thousands of miles away.

Sylvia Dickey Smith said...

Interesting. When is it coming to Texas?
Sylvia Dickey Smith

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

That sounds like a great festival!!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Sylvia, Mark's been trying to set one up in the Dallas area for a couple years now.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Times like this I wish I didn't live in Oz.